Bit of a surprise to find late night shopping in 1947 but that’s what was happening on 5th Street according to this ad from the January 30 Comox District Free Press.
With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.
Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.
Photo credit: Bill Ardley’s Garage, 1932, was located on Anderton Avenue near Central Builders Supply Ltd. and backed onto the Courtenay River. Charles Sillence photograph. Photo: CDM Sillence Collection. Page 152.
Photo caption: “British Columbians adjusted to driving on the right-hand side of the road when it became the law on January 1, 1922. And due to the economic boom in the mid- to late 1920s automobile sales increased, which meant there were more drivers on the road. Businesses developed to service four-wheeled travellers and holiday makers.” Page 151.