Exciting news! The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development has announced a final competition for a Provincial Fossil to be added to the official Provincial Symbols of British Columbia. Courtenay’s elasmosaur is on the shortlist and could become an official provincial symbol with your vote.
The Ministry stated, “Seven fossil candidates have been shortlisted through a public process in partnership with the British Columbia Paleontological Alliance (BCPA). The following criteria were used to select the fossil candidates:
- Be well known and easily recognizable;
- be more or less unique to British Columbia;
- reflect the unique geography of British Columbia;
- have wide appeal to a general audience;
- serve as an educational vehicle through which the biology, ecology, and geology of the time it represents can be made clear; and
- be amenable to designs for posters, displays and logos.
The online voting process uses a web-based questionnaire tool, SurveyMonkey, allows one vote per computer profile and includes a simple verification step to avoid development of computer scripts for automatic votes.