The area now known as Merville was logged by the Comox Logging & Railway Company.
In his book Island Timber, historian and author Richard Mackie wrote: “Two other camps-4 and 5-were both short-lived, and logged most of the area that became Merville just prior to and during the First World War. Camp 4 was situated at what is now the corner of Merville Road and the west side of the Island Highway. After the war it was taken over by the Soldier Settlement Board. Camp 5, open from about 1914 to 1916, was a mile and a half down Williams Beach Road on what became Reid’s Farm.”
Originally identified as logging, but perhaps land clearing for the Soldier Settlement, circa 1920.