Every community worth its salt needs a special gathering place. Merville got theirs with the official opening of the Community Hall on Saturday, May 22, 1954.
Described in the Argus newspaper as having a grey, gaunt exterior but a light decorated interior, the 42 x 98 foot hall was built with volunteer labour.
Jim Mathers chaired the grand opening celebration and reminisced on how meetings were first held in the school and then later in a dance hall built by Louis Biss.
Here is the Comox District Free Press article of May 26, 1954: