The Museum’s Blog

Courtenay’s Centennial: The Condensory Bridge

The April 16, 1914 edition of the Courtenay Review reveals the origin of the name of the Condensory Bridge.

“Another Industry for Courtenay…Another industry is about to commence in Courtenay, which will be added to the “Made in Comox” list, viz, The Courtenay Milk Condensory, which will open its doors for business, about the 1st of May. As everybody knows, condensed or canned milk has a large demand in the new districts and among the logging and construction camps…

They [the Company]…purchased an acre and a half of ground from Jos. McPhee along the river bank at the end of Mill Street, where they have erected a fine building, 40 by 180 feet, fully equipped with the most modern machinery for condensing milk made, including a 130 light dynamo…

…The arrangements for handling the product are very convenient and labour saving. The grounds are tastefully laid out with gravelled driveways and lawns, in which 30 poplar trees have been planted, a neat picket fence along the front, while the back is enclosed by a wire fence…”

The former Mill and River Streets make up today’s Anderton Avenue. The Courtenay Milk Condensory ceased operations in spring of 1920 and the building was destroyed by fire soon after.