Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.
Photo credit: Courtenay’s original city centre, ca. 1905. Walter Gage photograph. Photo: CDM 972.270.2. Page 62-63.
Photo caption: “”Lewistown,” as some called it, was just across from the head of the slough, at the junction of Dyke Road and Upper Prairie Road. It became a thriving commercial centre…Opposite the hotel was McKean & Biscoe’s dry goods and grocery store. The Masonic Lodge met on the upper floor of this building for thirty-three years. Courtenay’s first bank, the Royal Bank of Canada, opened here in 1909.” Page 63.