It’s All There in Black and White: A Visit by Premier J.D. MacLean

A brush with “celebrity” for Valleyites in September of 1927 when Premier J.D. MacLean officially opened the new consolidated schools. The article from the September 8th edition of the Courtenay Free Press goes on to list some interesting statistics about the growth of education in BC.

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.

It’s All There in Black and White: Princess Margaret Visits Courtenay

Comox Valley Royal watchers were treated to a personal appearance in 1958. Princess Margaret visited Lewis Park, St. Joseph’s Hospital and the RCAF airport in Comox. This article from the July 23, 1958 Comox District Free Press gives info on everything from what she ate for lunch to who she visited at the hospital!

Click for Larger Image


Click for Larger Image

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.

It’s All There in Black and White: Comox Valley Milk Run

Remember the Milk Runs? Not just an excuse to get out in the spring sunshine, they also raised money for the BC Society for Crippled Children. This page from the May 2, 1980 Comox District Free Press is sure to bring back memories for people schooled here in the valley. Presented with apologies to the lactose intolerant.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.

It’s All There in Black and White: Courtenay’s Court House 1952

Courtenay’s Court House officially opened on Monday, March 31, 1952. The building housed provincial government departments as well as the RCMP. This article from the April 3, 1952 Comox District Free Press gives all the details right down to the coal mixture used for heating (that’s 50% Cumberland coal, in case you were wondering).

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.