The Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce was first founded as the Board of Trade in 1913. It was incorporated on March 22, 1919 and in 1948 the name was changed to Chamber of Commerce.
The first building was constructed from donated supplies and volunteer labour in 1958 on Cliffe Avenue. Once the building was completed and funding was secured from the City, students were hired to provide tourist information. The new location was perfect for the arrival of the “Deuce,” the logging locomotive donated to the City of Courtenay from the Comox Logging & Railway Company.
In the 1970s times were tough for the Chamber, but good ideas were created. Frank Lockwood came up with the idea for Market Days and Ruth McKellar produced Citizen of the Year awards.
This year the Chamber of Commerce will be celebrating their official 100th anniversary at the Native Sons Hall on Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 8pm. Tickets are available online or in person at the Chamber office.