The Museum’s Blog

Historic Building Fire in Courtenay

DM 972.235.19 / The Riverside Hotel trees are visible on the left, as well as the McPhee Store with awning and the second bridge, which lasted from 1900 to 1923.

Click for Larger Image

CDM 989.69.56 / 5th Street (Union Street), c. 1913. The first J. McPhee and Sons building is visible on Anderton Avenue (Mill Street) behind the new McPhee Block at the foot of the hill.

Click for Larger Image

An unfortunate fire occurred at the former J. McPhee and Sons General Store building on Saturday, March 23, 2019. The building is the current home of the Cona Hostel and is located on Anderton Avenue in downtown Courtenay. Arson is suspected.

Click for Larger Image

The above article appeared in the Comox District Free Press of March 4, 1994. Since then, Ian J.M. Kennedy’s book The Life & Times of Joseph McPhee has brought new information to light.

Please note the following corrections:

  1. The original McPhee building was likely moved to Anderton Avenue in 1913.
  2. While the first post office was located in the 1894 building it was moved to McPhee’s remodelled warehouse and Birdie Callin (nee McPhee) acted as Postmistress during the First Wold War from this second location.