Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.
Photo credit: Staff of the Comox Valley Cannery, September 1934. Charles Sillence photograph. CDM 2004.42.133. Page 170-171.
Photo caption: “As the Great Depression took hold in the Comox Valley, P.H. Harrison’s decision to open a cannery on the banks of the Courtenay River was welcome news. He built a large two-storey building on the east side of the river, and operations began on May 30, 1934. About fifty women clad in white and green uniforms packed the first batch of Comox Valley spinach. Later in the season they were working with beans, peas, beets, tomatoes, strawberries, plums, cherries and pears.” Page 170.