Here now is an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District. Enjoy!
Photo credit: CDM 979.3.2 Page 45.
Photo caption: “In 1874, the government provided a grant to construct a wharf at Comox Landing on James Robb’s land. The cost of the 12-foot-wide, 1,035-foot-long wharf was $3,337. The wharf head was fifty by sixty feet across, which made it possible for larger ships, like those operated by Canadian Pacific Navigation and Union Steamships, to deliver and offload passengers, cargo and mail.” Page 44.