September 2018 Watershed Moments

Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.

Photo credit: Threshing on the Duncan farm at Sandwick, ca. 1895. Photo: CDM Stubbs Collection. Page 57.

Photo caption: “…Farmers settling on both the lower and upper prairies were eager to bring their produce and manufactured goods to market. The most efficient way to handle Courtenay’s freight was to barge milled lumber, agricultural products, grains and household goods to and from the head of navigation on the Courtenay River, immediately downstream from the Courtenay River Bridge…” Page 56.

August 2018 Watershed Moments

Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.

Click for Larger Image


Click for Larger Image

Photo credit: Cousins Edith Bates (in back), Reg Biscoe, George Bates and Marjorie Biscoe with Bingo at Seal Bay, ca. 1926. The Bates family had a beach cottage at Seal Bay, not too far from the Biscoes’ summer home at Kye Bay. Like other Comox Valley children they enjoyed an idyllic existence in the outdoors, with unspoiled beaches close by. Photo: CDM 988.197.133.

Photo caption: “Seal Bay Park, a treasure of biodiversity, harbours tall and stately giants of the coastal forest, lush undergrowth and a number of rare specimens. It offers the public the deep tranquility of a protected forest. Those who take time to linger may also find clues to the forest’s past.” Page 144.

Periodical Wisdom: August 2018

We’ve scoured the archives for women’s magazines and periodicals to share some advice from the good old days.

Sage advice courtesy of the August 1932 McCall’s magazine on how to get the most out of bathing. That includes the recommendation of adding three special baths to your regime each week: a fatigue bath, a wake-up bath and a luxury bath.

It’s All There in Black and White: Native Son’s Hall 80th Birthday

She’s reached another milestone…80 years since the inaugural dance was held in the Native Sons Hall. What a night that must have been!

Movers, shakers and contractors from near and far are all listed in this article from the Courtenay Free Press of August 15, 1928.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image


Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.

It’s All There in Black and White: Florence Filberg Centre Opening

It has been 30 years since the Florence Filberg Centre opened. Click on the images below to learn more about the background financials and dignitaries of the day in this July 13, 1988 article from the Comox District Free Press.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image


Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

With legacy support from the Bickle Family and the Comox Valley Echo.

July 2018 Watershed Moments

Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.

Click for Larger Image


Click for Larger Image

Photo credit: July 1st parade at the corner of 5th Street and Cliffe Avenue, 1948. George Apps photograph. Photo: CDM 997.505.15. Page 184.

Photo caption: “For a generation that had lived through the aftermath of the Great War, the Great Depression and World War II, the war’s end signalled an era of promise like none before. The high number of weddings in Courtenay at this time indicated that people had a cautious optimism about their lives ahead.” Page 185.

June 2018 Watershed Moments

Here is the latest newsletter installment of an image and quote from the museum’s award-winning book Watershed Moments – A Pictorial History of Courtenay and District.

Photo credit: Mrs. Margaret Frank and Chief Andy Frank in the 1967 Courtenay parade. Ruth Masters photograph. Photo: CDM 2007.251.18. Page 188.

Photo caption: “In 1906, Mary and Billie Frank, Andy’s mother and father, decided to canoe to Tree Island (now Sandy Island Marine Park) to harvest clams. They pitched their tents on the island, and Andy was born there, the youngest of the family…In the 1920s, Andy went into an Alert Bay store for fishing supplies. He was so smitten by one of the clerks that he needed to make several trips into the store to choose the right flashlight. The clerk, Margaret Wilson from T’sakis (Fort Rupert), of high status and with strong convictions about promoting awareness of indigenous heritage, married Andy first by tradition and later in a church.” Page 119.